This year, in response to the coronavirus pandemic, the government has made changes to the eligibility criteria for the flu vaccine. Due to the strict health and safety measures currently in place, we need to run our clinics differently to ensure we can keep our patients and staff safe at this time. The main difference this year is that we will contact all the eligible patients with an appointment time.
Please read the info below carefully:
Our clinics this year will be running on Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th September.
- On these flu clinic days, we will be limiting the number of patients per 10-15 minutes slots, to ensure we can maintain social distancing. Please turn up at the start of the timed slot and be prepared to wait up to 15 minutes to have your vaccination. Please let the receptionist at the door know if you need to be prioritised due to mobility issues.
- There are different vaccines for over 65s and under 65s, therefore we will be running the Under 65’s clinic on Saturday 19th September and the Over 65’s clinic will be on Sunday 20th September. You will be booked into an appropriate slot accordingly.
- We ask that you wear a face covering when attending and please also remember to wear appropriate outdoor clothing for the weather, as you will only be invited into the practice when the clinician is ready to inject you.
- If you are suffering from Covid symptoms, i.e. new continuous cough, high temperature, or loss of taste or smell, please do not attend the clinic. We will be running catch up sessions later in the season.
- You will be asked to queue outside at 2 metre intervals (to maintain social distancing and avoid large groups of people congregating). Your name will be checked off a register by a member of staff so we have a record of your attendance.
- Please come alone to your appointment unless you need a carer or are bringing a child.
- Please ensure you are able to remove your coat/outer clothing easily to be given the injection in your upper arm.
- Please be aware that we will not be able to deal with any other queries on the day.
.Who is eligible for the 2020/21 Flu Vaccine?
- All patients 6 months to under 65 years in clinical at risk groups, such as lung, heart kidney, liver and neurological disease, diabetes, suppressed immunity as well as those who have recently had to shield during the COVID-19 pandemic, and their immediate family living with them (if they are also our patients)
- Pregnant women
- Patients over 65 years (or those turning 65 before 31st March 2021).
- Children aged 2-3 years on 31st August 2020 can be vaccinated at the surgery i.e. born between 1st Sept 2016 & 31st Aug 2018
- All primary school aged children and Year 7s (1st year at secondary school) will be vaccinated at school. Please contact your schools directly for further information.
Despite the current media coverage, NHS England have confirmed people in the age 50-65 years group who are not in the at risk groups are to be vaccinated later in the season, subject to vaccine availability. We will therefore be contacting this group later in the autumn when we have further information. Please look out for our text message and website updates.